NCERT Solution: Peasants and Farmers
Long Answer Type
1. After the American War of Independence from 1775 to 1783 and the formation of United States of America, the white Americans began to move westward.
2. By the time of Thomas Jefferson become President of USA in 1800, over 700000 white settlers had moved on to the Appalachian plateau through the passes.
3. In the decades after 1800 the US government committed itself to a policy of driving the American Indians westward, first beyond river Mississippi, and then further west.
4. Numerous wars were waged in which Indians were massacred and many of their village burnt.
5. After 1860s the settlers swept into the Great Plains across the River Mississippi.